Thursday, February 26, 2009


LANCE ARMSTRONG, LEVI LEIPHEIMER AND THE GREAT CHIWEENIE BRAVE THE WINTER WEATHER AT THE 2009 TOUR OF CALIFORNIA


GU "the Great Chiweenie" (DOG)


Nine weeks is a long time to go without my normal 12 hour naps, but the Tour of California was here and we were there to see the best riders in the world race in my backyard. The first week was chillier than I prefer, but seeing rider after rider fly by was cool. I dozed off a bit, but I think I smelled Lance go by.


Weeks 2 and 3 blended together into a soggy mess. The only thing I could see was water droplets on my lenses. The riding was fun, when we got the chance because the smells were great, but standing around was no fun at all. I got to meet Bjarne Riis (Saxobank director and former rider). He looked confused when Cub said, “can I get a picture with you an my dog.” Doesn't everyone want a picture with famous people and their dog? Riis did seem to enjoy my sunglasses and tried to trade with his, but I stared him down to let him know whose the boss.


Weeks 4 and 5 flew by without Megan and then the rain came again, but Cub was quick to get out of the downpours and under shelters. We didn't get to ride much these days, but Cub eats better junk food without Megan.


Weeks 6 and 7 they were in our area of the state (Central Coast). The sun was out and I was happy. I even ran with Megan beside Levi seven seconds.


Weeks 8 and 9 were warm and cloudy. I was upset to here one of my favorite riders say with an unusual accent, “that's not a dog!” as Cub took a picture of us. We did get to ride a bit more the last couple of weeks. And we got away from the crowds and enjoyed watching the finishes for once.


I'm glad to be home.


CUB "rider without a name" (Person)


Nine days is a long time to follow a bike race, but the Tour of California was here again for the fourth time. The first day showed that the crowds would be out in full force to see Lance and all of the world's best riders.


Days 2 and 3 were stormy. Gu didn't seem the happiest, but when we rode he still stood up to get the smells. We even got to meet Bjarne Riis after the stage in Santa Cruz. He was confused when I asked him, “can I get a picture with you and my dog.” But the confusion went away when he saw Gu with his sunglasses. At the end of both days, we would take Gu out of the pack and he would feel like a portable heater (he does where a wool sweater with his jersey over top in cold weather).


Days 4 and 5 were long and hard without Megan. I drove her home and went back up to Modesto. Gu was tired and slept pretty good in the car. We avoided the rain and had one really nice day in the Fresno area.


Days 6 and 7 were close to home and I enjoyed sleeping in my bed. Gu seemed to agree. The sun was out and Megan and Gu even ran beside Levi in the time trial for less than a second.


Days 8 and 9 were packed with people. Jens Voight (sorry if I spelled it wrong) was nice enough to get a pic with Megan and “that's not a dog”, Gu., as he rode to sign in to the last days stage. Rabobank was nice to let us (really GU and since we were with him, Megan and me) into their tent area near the finish. There was nice people, good food and a great spot to actually watch the race finish.

FUN FACT

Cub gained 3% of his body weight. Gu lost 4% of his body weight during the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment