Thursday, May 6, 2010

New Sleeping Bag...it works!





GU, the Great Chiweenie (DOG)
I love wind! Its one of the best things in the world.

I hate cold! Its one of the worst things in the world.

After a crazy night, with Megan and Cub being a little stressed. It was unusual that Megan was the one barking, and not Chomps or myself. But we were all ready for bed.

I love sleeping in the tent, but the ELEMENT would have to do. Cub wasn't gonna put up the tent in the wind and I think Megan and him like to sleep in the car every once in a while. I noticed right away that Cub got a new sleeping bag...SIERRA DESIGNS ARROW ROCK. Through the night, I got to test it out a bit, but the real test was the next day.

After riding sweep in the girls varsity race, I was pooped and cold. The new bag came in handy. I didn't move for over an hour. It just filled in all those cold pockets that weren't covered by my extra sugar. I would recommend it to any dog that needs a good place to lay his head.


CUB (PERSON)
Our first test of the bag was at Lake Arrowhead for the SOCAL high school mountain bike race #3. The wind was howling and the free camping was desolate. We rode earlier in the day with our team riders and went out to eat. The wind kept blowing while the temperature was dropping. After dinner, I pulled a little to far into the intersection and a car was coming, so I backed up a foot and we heard a honk from behind. I backed into them with my bike rack, but there wasn't a scratch.

Luckily, I kept my mouth shut and just took the verbal abuse from the non-drivers who were far from being sober, in more ways than one. Megan didn't, but luckily we drove away as one said it was okay. Then we were followed by them for a while, so I drove in directions that weren't where we were staying, but near businesses. Finally, they turned around and drove by us again, then went off into the darkness.

Relieved and tired, we pulled into the camping area...one car with a tent behind it and an RV. We tooked stuff out of the car so we could use the HONDA ELEMENT the way it was designed...combine the front and back seat (taking off the headrest) makes into a nice recliner bed. We stuffed the area between the seats and got into out sleeping bags. My new SIERRA DESIGN ARROW ROCK was now my first 3 season bag. I was joined by Chomps, while GU slept with Megan to start.

I slept well in the ELEMENT and ARROW ROCK...the only times I woke were to see if our stuff outside blew away or not. I was toasty warm and noticed the many features of the bag that I would probably never use, but could if needed (you can attach you bag to a sleeping pad so you don't slide off while asleep).

Luckily, the races went better than the night before. After the race was packed up, snow soon followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment