Tuesday, March 24, 2009

WHAT A DAY! THE BIRTHDAY RIDE.


GU "THE GREAT CHIWEENIE" (DOG)

We went for a ride and stopped at one of my favorite spots (Sebastian's near Hearst Castle). I know Cub went off on his birthday ride with a group of people we know. Megan and I decided to work the lunch detail. My job was to be a good watchdog and protect the sandwiches.

Megan drove and I continued to do my job (and doing it well, I think.). I hate curvy roads. I try to grip onto the seat, but each turn is a full body workout. I've never fallen off the seat, but didn't want today to be a first.

We finally see riders, but no Cub yet. They all looked really cold and beat. We checked on everyone and finally saw Cub cruising behind Big Tom at the bottom of the hill. He seemed cold, but pretty comfortable.

Then it was time for my job to end and Megan pulled out the lunches. Everyone gathered around the heater and munched on their food. I could see happiness on their pained faces at that point (and maybe only at that point). I wanted cake, but I think it was chocolate...DRATS.

The ride home was slow with stops to check on the pack. Tyler opted for the metric century, so he was hanging with us in the car. On the way back to drop him off, we saw one of the riders getting picked up early (not the century or the metric century). He tried to hide his face, but I know who it was (not to mention any names...).

Cub finally made it home with a smile on his face as he finished his lunch off with a little help from me!

CUB "RIDER WITHOUT A NAME" (PERSON WITH A BIRTHDAY)


My birthday ride was a century from Cambria to the top of Nacimiento (no clue how to spell it) and back. Approximately 100 miles with 0ver 8000 feet of climbing. I decided to ride with Tyler, Big Tom and Jim. We kept a constant pace all the way til the 2700 foot climb (half-way mark).

We didn't see much of the pack that we started with or the others who opted for the 55 mile version from Ragged Point, but the ride was beautiful. Not a sunny day, or even a very warm day, but its still Southern Big Sur coast at its best.

We started to see the other riders as they were going downhill. "Don't hang out at the top, its freezing up there," one of the Mike's said as he cruised past us on his way down. One by one, out of the fog another rider would go by.

Tyler had bike issues on the way up and Big Tom flatted on the way down, but we weren't in a hurry. I had given Megan a time frame and we were still on pace to eat lunch at Sand Dollar.

By the time we got to lunch, most of the riders were already done eating and gathering around a fire built in one of the camping grills. The few blankets from the car around some of the riders helped warm the bodies that still needed to ride 40 more miles.

The ride back was quick except for the grinding noises coming from my bike. I stopped before the major downhills to try to figure it out or at least to ease my mind. Descending the hills in Big Sur don't leave much room for error, human or mechanical.

Back at home, Gu and Megan greeted me in their own way. Man that sandwich tasted good.

Thanks to all who came and took part.

No comments:

Post a Comment