Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mountain Bike Nationals here I come!


GU, the Great Chiweenie (dog)
The ride to the race was longer than usual, but the place we got to place our den was perfect. Up
on a hill with a bunch of other dogs and their rider companions. Cub was nursing his broken ribs from playing kickball and Megan was getting ready for her 2 races, cross-country and super D.

Cub and I cruised around cheering and meeting new people around every turn. I cheered loudest for Megan and she looked to be riding pretty fast. We even got the chance to try our first pump track...I think I should have tried with Megan first, but Cub was starting to be able to hold his ground with those 5 and 6 year olds.

I was pooped. Riding around and being up for most of the daylight hours was tough. I even met
some guy who was trying to be stylish like me, with his red sunglasses, and another guy who just won the short track that seemed to like getting his picture taken.

Cub, the other rider (person)
Driving to Colorado for a couple of races is always tough, but sitting in the car with broken ribs made it even tougher. Megan wanted to race the Sport Cross-country race and the Open (non-pro) Super D before we headed for more summer adventures. Camping was crazy packed on a hill above the main starting area. We were lucky to even find a spot in the high grasses on a pretty steep slope.

Megan raced great, with a 3rd in the Cross-country and 2nd in the Super D. Gu, as always, whined every time he saw her coming or going. While waiting for one of Megan's award podiums, we went over to try to pump track (small area that you should be able to use your momentum to get you over the small bumps). I wasn't very good at it. Most of the children around were way better than me.

On our last day, we watched the PRO short track races. They are fun because you can see most of the course and it doesn't take long. After the race, we asked some of the riders if we could get a pic with GU and them. JHK and Adam Craig were happy to cooperate. Too bad I almost missed getting GU in the shot with JHK.

No comments:

Post a Comment